Monday, March 17, 2008

Bookshelf Project


This project was on DesignSponge last Thursday and I keep thinking about how I'm going to do it. I believe I could fit two of them next to my fire place and possibly fit a flat screen TV on one of the shelves. I think it is a great way to display some of the awesome wallpaper that is out there right now without have to commit an entire wall to it. Weekend summer project anyone?

Here are the directions (via DesignSponge):
Amber’s Billy Bookshelves by Amber Blakesley
Items Required:
3 billy bookcases $59 ea.
3 extenders $25 ea.
6 billy byom doors $35 ea.
2 rolls wallpaper $80 approx. ea.
1 quart tub wallpaper primer $15
1 quart tub wallpaper paste $15
small roller $3
sponge $2
smoothing tool $5
1-2 helpers
Grand Total $652

Time Required: Saturday afternoon

Steps:
1. Built the bookshelves
2. Built the extender units
3. Wallpaper the flat back pieces of the bookcases that are included. Making sure to match up the pattern across all three units. The backs that Ikea gives you are cardboard, not real wood. I would suggest you have real pressed wood cut to fit the backs of the bookshelves.
(I was already knee deep in constructing bookshelves when I found this out, so I went ahead and used the cardboard backs and it all worked out just fine.)
4. Install doors.

No comments: